Archived in January 2013 Schedule 10: Confirmation of Eligibility
This information has been archived. Visit the Agreement on the Administration of Agency Grants and Awards by Research Institutions page for current information.
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Each of the three Agencies funds only those applicants who fulfill the eligibility requirements established by the respective Agency. These policies are published in Agency literature.
Grant or Award Holders are responsible for informing, without delay, the relevant Institution and Agency of any change in their eligibility status.
2.1 Responsibilities of the Institution
Each Institution agrees to:
- confirm the potential Grant or Award Holder’s eligibility, at the time application is made, in accordance with the relevant Agency’s established eligibility requirements;
- monitor the ongoing eligibility of Grant and Award Holders;
- advise the relevant Agency, in a timely manner, of any change in the eligibility status of Grant or Award Holders that could have affected the terms of the original award; and
- confirm, by following a process established by the relevant Agency, Grant and Award Holders’ ongoing eligibility throughout the tenure of their grant or award.
2.2 Responsibilities of the Agencies
Each Agency agrees to:
- establish clear eligibility requirements for research grants and awards, and to make them readily accessible to researchers, students and Institutions;
- advise researchers, students and Institutions, in a timely and effective manner, about eligibility requirements that must be met prior to submitting an application for and/or holding an award, and advise them about any change to eligibility requirements;
- provide the Institution, annually, with a list of grant and award installments scheduled for the next fiscal year, for the purpose of assisting the Institution to confirm each Grant or Award Holder’s ongoing eligibility;
- establish steps to be taken in the event that a Grant or an Award Holder’s eligibility status changes (e.g., holding back the next award installment, paying out a partial award installment, recovering funds already paid out); and
- provide, in a timely manner, clear reasons – based on the Agency’s established eligibility requirements – for Agency decisions to declare an applicant and/or Grant or Award Holder ineligible to apply for funding or ineligible to receive further funding.
3. Resolution of Issues of Non-Compliance
In the event circumstances arise in which an Institution appears to be, or is found to be, in non-compliance with the Agency policy under this Schedule, the Agency will follow the procedures described in Schedule 8 at the entry level appropriate to the situation.