NSERC On-line Presentation and Attachment Standards
1. Prepare the documents
Prepare your attachments in any word processing program, following the requirements below:
- Explain any acronyms and abbreviations fully;
- Pages must be 8 ½" x 11" (216mm x 279mm);
- Pages must be single-spaced, with no more than six lines of type per inch;
- All text must be in 12 pt Times New Roman font;
- Condensed fonts will not be accepted;
- All text should be black, and no colour images should be used;*
- Margins must be set at a minimum of ¾" (1.87 cm);
- Your name must appear outside the set margins of the page, at the top right corner of every page;
- For multi-page attachments, pages must be numbered sequentially;
- If you have supporting documents written in a language other than English or French, you are required to provide NSERC with a certified translation of the document.
All text, including references (where applicable), must conform to these standards.
* Coloured fonts and images increase the file size of your completed application, and may lengthen the retrieval and download time for reviewers. Coloured images and graphics are more expensive to print and copy. Any coloured content submitted in the application will be duplicated in black and white, not colour, for reviewers.
2. Convert the documents
All attachments must be converted to Portable Document Format (PDF) before they can be attached to the electronic application. The conversion process varies with the operating system and word processing software you are using. If you have questions about converting your documents to PDF, contact your institutionís technical support staff.
If you do not have a PDF conversion program, you may download a free version of PrimoPDF. Macintosh users have a PDF conversion option in the Macintosh system "print" function.
3. Attach the documents to your application
Attach the converted documents to your application using the following steps:
- In the Document Description field, enter a description of the document.
- Select Browse beside the Filename field. The Choose file window appears.
- Locate and select the file you want to attach.
- Select Open. The Choose file window closes, and the filename of your document appears in the Filename field.
- Select Attach. The Status field shows the message “Document Has Been Attached”, and Proofread and Delete buttons are displayed.
- Select Proofread to verify the attached file meets the presentation standards and contains the correct content.
- If necessary, select Delete to delete the file and repeat the process.