NSERC-Quanser Chair in Design Engineering for Innovation
Chairs in Design Engineering Program
Senior Chairholder since 2014
The NSERC-Quanser Chair in Design Engineering for Innovation will support the newly established Lassonde School of Engineering to train undergraduate students in design principles.
Given the opportunity created by the establishment of a brand new professional engineering school, the Chair's action plan will integrate design into the learning experience from the ground up.
The curriculum for the first year in engineering will be adapted immediately to teach students design thinking from their first days as undergraduates.
The key components of the Chair in Design Engineering at the Lassonde School of Engineering are:
- improve design education through various in-class and out-of-class activities and design and development projects;
- equip undergraduate and graduate students with a multidisciplinary education, including the technical and non-technical skills necessary to become successful design engineers;
- establish facilities and laboratories (such as Design Studio Laboratory) to support design education and development activities;
- develop a wide range of product and process concepts for the Chair’s community and industrial partners;
- collaborate with industrial partners, including Quanser, the Chair’s program industrial sponsor, as well as with other educational institutions and established CDEs; and
- advocate for design engineering within the University and beyond by establishing connection and collaboration with a view to making the Lassonde School of Engineering a future hub for innovative design engineering among academia, the community and industry.
5th floor, York Research Tower, 4700 Keele st
Tel.: 416-736-2100, ext. 77077