Industrial Research Chairs Grants Program
With the forthcoming implementation of the new Research Partnerships program, NSERC has established a plan to ensure an orderly transition for the Industrial Research Chairs (IRC) Grants program, ensuring that:
- For current first-term IRC grants, universities have reasonable time to find alternative sources of funding to replace the partial support NSERC provides towards the Chairholder’s salary in a second term;
- Chairholders who are unable to seek renewal under the IRC Grants program have reasonable time to submit an application to the new Research Partnerships program, ahead of the end of their current term, in order to seek further support for their research activities; and
- Universities have the opportunity to submit an IRC Grant application for external candidates who have already been hired, or are in the process of being hired, with the specific objective of being nominated as NSERC IRC candidates.
The specific details of the transition plan are presented below. The plan’s implementation is subject to the availability of funds.
For more information regarding the transition plan, contact IRCGrants-SubventionsPCI@nserc-crsng.gc.ca.
Transition Plan for IRC Grants Program
Ongoing IRC Grants
NSERC will continue to administer and fulfill current IRC award commitments.
Accepting IRC Grant Applications by February 1, 2019
- February 1, 2019, is the submission deadline for all applications for new IRC grants.
- As well, renewal applications for IRC grants whose current terms end in April, May or June of fiscal year 2019–20 will be accepted if submitted by the above deadline.
Accepting IRC Grant Applications After February 1, 2019 — Renewal Applications
- After February 1, 2019, NSERC will only accept first-to-second term renewal applications for IRC grants whose current first term ends in fiscal year 2019–20.
- No other renewal applications will be accepted under the IRC Grants program.
- For current first-term IRC grants that would be eligible for renewal beyond fiscal year 2019–20, universities have reasonable time to seek alternative solutions to replace NSERC’s partial salary support in a second term, while researchers will be able to apply to the new Research Partnerships program in order to seek further support for their research activities.
- For current second-term and subsequent IRC terms that will be eligible for renewal in fiscal year 2019–20 or later, researchers will be able to apply to the new Research Partnership program in order to seek further support for their research activities.
Accepting IRC Grant Applications After February 1, 2019 — New Applications by External Candidates Only
- After February 1, 2019, NSERC will accept new applications for external candidates only if they:
- have already been hired by a university with the specific objective of being nominated as NSERC IRC candidates; or
- are in the process of being hired by a university with the specific objective of being nominated as NSERC IRC candidates.
- To consider such applications, NSERC must receive, no later than February 1, 2019, all of the following:
- A formal notification from the university, stating its intent to submit an NSERC IRC grant application for the identified external candidate, specifying the nature of the position the candidate would hold at the university, their planned start date in that position, and the planned application submission date;
- A summary of the proposed research program, not exceeding two pages;
- The proposed candidate’s NSERC Form 100 or free-form CV;
- The candidate’s written consent authorizing NSERC to undertake an administrative review of the submitted documents and to communicate its findings to the university;
- If applicable, a copy of the letter of offer for the position to the proposed candidate, which should indicate the intended start date, and a copy of the candidate’s acceptance of the offer; and
- If no offer has been made or accepted yet, a compelling demonstration that the hiring process is at an advanced stage.
- Submission of full applications will be by invitation only, following NSERC’s administrative review of the material submitted with the notification. Applications submitted without an invitation will be rejected.
- A full application must be submitted to NSERC no later than a year after the hiring of the external candidate by the university or by September 2, 2019, whichever date is first.
- Applications for external candidates will be for a single five-year term. It will not be possible to seek a term renewal under the IRC Grants program.
- No other new applications will be accepted under the IRC Grants program.