Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Grants and Awards
Equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) strengthen the post-secondary community and the quality, social relevance and impact of research. EDI-informed analyses, systems and practices increase access to the largest pool of qualified participants, enhance the integrity of application and selection processes, strengthen research outputs and increase the overall excellence of research.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Institutional Capacity-Building Grant
The objective of this pilot funding opportunity from the three research granting agencies is to foster EDI in the Canadian post-secondary research ecosystem through a focus on the identification and elimination of systemic barriers that impede the career advancement, recruitment and retention of underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
As part of the 2019 pilot competition, 15 post-secondary institutions shared $5.3 million in funding to advance their own EDI objectives. See the news release for the results of the competition.
- Chairs for Women in Science and Engineering Program The goal of this program is to increase the participation and retention of women in science and engineering and to provide role models for women active in, and considering, careers in these fields.
- PromoScience: promoting science among underrepresented groups PromoScience supports initiatives that promote the natural sciences and engineering to Canada's young people, particularly to groups such as girls and Indigenous Peoples which are under-represented in scientific and engineering careers.
- NSERC Indigenous Student Ambassadors This program aims to engage Indigenous students and fellows in promoting interest and participation in the natural sciences and engineering by visiting Canada’s Indigenous communities and schools and sharing their research and education experiences or participating in science promotion events and activities.
- Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) These awards are meant to nurture undergraduate students’ interest and fully develop their potential for a research career in the natural sciences and engineering. Indigenous applicants are submitted over and above the quota.
- STEAM Horizon Awards STEAM Horizon Awards promote the fields of science, technology, engineering, art and design, and mathematics (STEAM) to the next generation of scientists and engineers. Winners clearly demonstrate inspiring achievement in these fields by applying their passion to have an impact on their community. Two awards are granted to eligible Indigenous students.
- NSERC Student Ambassadors This pilot initiative engages post-secondary students and fellows directly in becoming mentors and role models to share their science and engineering experience with other youth from groups that are underrepresented or disadvantaged in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Indigenous applicants are submitted over and above the quota.
- Canada Research Chairs (CRC) -Equity, diversity and inclusion requirements and practices
- C150 - Equity plans
- Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF) – Equity plans
- Canada Excellence Research Chair (CERC) – Equity and diversity practices
- New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF) Best Practices Guide in EDI
- The Alice Wilson Award for women postdoctoral fellowship holders This award is given yearly to three women of outstanding academic qualifications in the arts and humanities, social sciences or science who are entering a career in scholarship or research at the postdoctoral level.
- GENDER-NET Plus ERA-NET Cofund – Promoting gender equality GENDER-NET Plus brings together a consortium of 16 partners from 13 countries, including Canada, to fund research projects that will promote the integration of sex and gender analysis into research at an international level.
- NSERC and L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Supplement This program recognizes outstanding women scientists engaged in a promising postdoctoral research project, and who have demonstrated exemplary involvement in science promotion and leadership.